Ridin' bikes. Eatin' cupcakes.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Baptismo del Fuego


(Back on the case like Charles Bronson.)

Had a pretty good little Saturday yesterday. Woke up before the crack of dawn to do the Montrose Ride with some friends. Last time I did any sort of "fast" group ride was back in November and since my December-mid January base training consisted of an extended stint on the Semi Pro Eating Circuit, the ride was definitely a wake up call to slide into a group of 200 riders,

Snapped this pic leaving a stoplight. I might be stupid but I'm not stupid enough to try taking a photo at speed in a paceline.

For two solid hours my lungs and legs were screaming "Ow quit it!" over and over and over again which is certainly not the mantra you want stuck in your head while in a 33mph paceline.

When it was all said in done, I got dropped on the final climb as usual but more importantly I was able to pull a nice impression of Lando Calrissian at the end of Return of the Jedi out of my ass.

Instead of narrowly escaping an exploding Death Star, I narrowly escaped a huge pile up when a random water bottle bounced out on a rough road. (Gotta love those carbon bottle cages!)

Just how close was I to the carnage? Close enough to get kicked in the thigh when the guy next to me was flying over the bars.

You know, now that I think about it, it wasn't my lack of fitness or portly weight that got me dropped on that final climb, it was the Charley Horse I got from other people crashing.

Yeah that's it.

No comments: